Sunday, April 17, 2011

Your Highness (2011)


Here I go again. Reviewing another movie I just recently watched. Once again defending a really, great movie from the masses of misunderstanding nay-sayers. I am confounded by the negative reviews I've seen. I can only interpret that not everyone can get magic and penis jokes as I do.

Oh yeah. I wrote penis.

Just right off the gate, I really fucking love this movie. I was awed and laughing throughout the whole movie. It was just so much fun!

"Your Highness" is a fantasy movie with lots of dirty jokes. There is a curse every 100 years that when the two moons are aligned, and a warlock screws a virgin, she will birth out a powerful dragon. Two brothers, Thadeous (played by Danny mcBride) and Fabious (played by James Franco....swoon) are sent out on a quest to re-rescue ( since he had already rescued her from the evil warlock Leezar from the tower) to prevent this curse from happening.

It is a bona-fide great fantasy adventure story. This could have easily been another "Epic Movie" toilet fodder. I was expecting this to be a lazy, ill-humored, poorly written story set in a medieval setting. I was astounded to be rewarded with not only humourous dialogue, but a great solid plot, funny actors, a bearded dragon, and amazing action sequences!

Just to have a solid plot is so rare for Hollywood right now. It would have been so easy to write a movie with blatant penis jokes. For me, the jokes were cleverly intertwined into the dialogue. It was so naturally woven in, that it would almost take you a moment to register that they just said "cock" during their epic monologue.

The themes of the movie was well done. Brother to brother rivalry and then coming together. The idea of just growing up.

I love the fantasy genre. I've read countless and countless of fantasy stories. I've seen countless of fantasy movies. I love the genre but I'm bored. It's basically the same story, same motives. The last time I've seen anyone twist the genre around was Jasper Fforde (in the "Thursday Next" series) and Piers Anthony (in the "Xanth" series. I love it when the genre is poked about. It's been taken too seriously!

That's where "Your Highness" came out golden. It brought to light some question and issues that I know people have thought about but only brushed aside. My favorite is when Thadeous is asking Fabious what if they rescued the virgin bride too late. Fabious becomes more uncomfortable as he refuses to acknowledge that his love would be sullied. Seriously. If you love the broad who can't eat with a fork when she's a virgin, then you should love her when she's not!

Alongside the good natured poke into the genre, there were other moments that respected. I could tell that this movie was made by fantasy/adventure genre lovers. These moments were done with great care and energy. For instance, the action scenes. Wow!!!The action scenes were freaking amazing! The carriage chase was just phenomenal. That moment alone rose this movie from a comedy to an amazing fantasy/adventure movie.

The magic!!! The magic special effects were just awesome. I loved it how Leezar conjured up his staff (hee hee). Plus the mothers? WOoooooOW!!!!

And the ultimate clincher for me? Stephan, the bearded dragon companion!!! That is so cool!!! It makes sense for a bearded dragon to be in a fantasy movie!!! Get it??? He's a dragon!!!! CUTE!!!!

After seeing "Sucker Punch" and "Your Highness", this is further affirmation that geeks have ruled the world. Both movies have really struck a chord with my geeky side. I had loads of fun since I could relate to both. I'm attributing the low theater rate is because not everyone can appreciate this kind of humor.



This is definitely a movie I would recommend to watch in a theater just on the special effects and the action scene alone.

Not everyone will get this movie. Here's my advice:

If you play WOW and curse yourself for being a warlock, you'll find this funny.
If you read fantasy novels and roll your eyes at the ludicrous vows of love based on one chance meeting, you'll love this movie.
If you draw penis caricatures and dragons in the margins of your notebook, you'll love this movie.
If you just want to see James Franco handle his sword, you'll love this movie.
If you teeter when you see anyone handle a sword a certain way, then you'll love this movie.
If I yell "PENIS" or "COCK" in your place, and you choke on whatever your drinking, then you'll love this movie.

I think you get the idea of this movie...

Favorite quote of the movie:
Leezar:"....how am I gonna beat you? With magic, motherfucker!"
Woooo!!!! Warlocks unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Jasmine Aherne said...

I loved this film. I have a pet bearded dragon!

Movie Dame said...

yay! me too! his name is eddie (after meatloafs character in rocky horror :) )

The Inspired Cook said...

Haha... how about if YOU draw penises in the margin of my notebook? Or make me spit water all over you? Will I still love the movie?
;-)

Movie Dame said...

i already did!!!! lol i think you will enjoy the movie!!!