Thursday, November 11, 2010

Love Labours Lost (2000)


I gotta love modern remakes and re imaginations. Even thought most are crappy and out of left field, there are some that are pretty cool in its own right.

Filmmakers and artists are constantly recycling past works that have touched them in some way or form. Art is subjective as they say. One persons interpretation could be completely different from another. I get that. I get that people will have different reactions when they watch a movie. That's the audience.I'm focusing more on the filmmakers responsible for them.

Filmmakers that decide to attempt a remake/imagination face several pitfalls:
* they can completely misinterpret and come away with a movie that will anger fans of the original movie
* they try too hard to stick with the original story, ending up with a watered down version of the original
* Completely ignore the original concept. Leaving title of the movie the the only remnant from the original
*reference an obscure film/genre/music that only a small niche of people will understand.

It's an art to re imagine an art that was done before in a way that is fresh and inspiring. That is hard and I can appreciate it. It took me two tries to sit through this movie. The second time I was sick and reluctant to shift so I just lay there and watched. I know it wasn't just my delirium from the sickness that I love this movie. I'm still humming the music a good month later. Granted, it's because I already loved the music before hand but the movie is still on my mind.

"Love Labours Lost" is a movie that combines Shakespere and the music from Fred Astaire.

Ok. Ok. Pause. First off Shakespere is hard to pull off. No matter how experience of a thesbian you are, it is freaking hard to pull Shakespere off naturally on stage. I will admit that sometimes my eyes will cross and I will focus on a fly when I watch Shakespere. It is just heavy on dialogue. I loved analyzing sections of it in high school. I hate watching and not understand it.

I am not familiar with the Shakespeare story it's referencing so all I have is what the movie gives me. The King of Navarre has proclaimed to lock himself and his three friends in his kingdom to focus on his studies. He prohibits women. Well guess who comes skipping along abut three women and the Princess of France. Apparently there is some silliness as the couples hook up.

There is a background of a war during the movie. I think the Princess and the King of Navarre were discussing some treaty or whatever. The King is bound by his own proclamations (which is bogus by the way)so he tries not to fall in love.

Alot of music that I love from Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers is peppered throughout the movie It's done in a different theme and for me it works. The cast did their own singing and dancing. At the same time. These are not trained Shakespearean actors or musical singers. Alicia Silverstone is the princess. That's the acting caliber in this movie!

Something about the color scheme is pretty. Kind of like a play but not.

What really caught my attention was the part where they switch identities. The movie goes from silly and colorful dance numbers to the most raunchiest group orgy I've seen. And they're singing my favorite song. My eyes were practically bugging out of the sockets. It was so....hot. Wow. Still kind of shocked.

This movie can be hard to sit through. Some of the numbers are awkward. The story is, weird. You got Alicia Silverstone. The major obstacle for anyone is the Shakespearean dialogue. If you've seen "Romeo+Juliet" with Leonardo Di Caprio then you know what I mean.

Other than that, I really like this movie. It had a couple of great actors and actresses and it was just fun to watch. They did alot of great reference to the old genre. I forget the name of the camera angle but during the song, "There's no business like show business", the camera shoots down where the actors dance in huge circles and makes designs. Which is a nod to "Annie Get Your Gun". Not to mention, I love Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers. The more reference to them the better!

.....Just don't think about the dialogue too much.

Farewell!

No comments: