Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The New Guy (2002)


Oh I love this movie. I love this movie so much.

Quotes from the movie that immediately come to mind:

"Just roll around...you'll be aight"
"are you lookin' at my Janet?"
"Crazy eyes!"
"Who's The Bitch Now?"

Teen comedies are one of my favorite escape routes from a hard day at work. Or if I just feeling really, really lazy. Hell I'll just make up a reason to watch this movie.

"The New Guy" centers around the most uncool dork this movie can define. After an embarrassing penile accident, our hero Dizzy winds up in a county jail. There he meets up with Luther (played hilariously by Eddie Griffin) and comes up with the idea to change his whole image. After expelling himself from high school, Dizzy begins the process to embody a whole new persona at a new high school.

As with all teen comedies before it, there's a lot of fast editing with layers and layers of jokes. You have your standard characters in a teen comedy with some oddball ones thrown in. There's Dizzy, our dorky hero. Then there's his sidekick friends of dorks (Zooey Deschanel is added in one of those sidekicks). The bullies from both school. The sexy love interest in the form of Eliza Dushku. I guess Luther would the warped mentor. Then you have the hyperactive coach on a horse. The midget tuba player. Even Tony Hawkes makes an experience.They all play their parts so hilariously and well making it a great cast to watch.

On top of that, there's a great nostalgic soundtrack for all of us kids who grew up in the ninetines. Offspring. Cypress Hill, Outkast,P.O.V. are one of the new bands featured in the soundtrack. Ahh, music that reminds me of high school.

On the surface, it's one of those underdog stories with the nerd growing into a higher status. Under all the jokes and pop culture reference, there is also a very sweet story with a great empowering message. No matter how times I watch it, I get super excited when I see the stampede through the fields.

There isn't that much else to write about this movie other than it's funny as hell!

Funny thing is, Dizzy would have been the cool prankster at my school!

No comments: