Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Auntie Mame (1958)

I woke up this morning to a dreary and dark day. Well, I refuse to allow my mind to slip into a dark and depressing atmosphere. I spent most of my time on the bus contemplating movies that have never failed to lift my spirits or shoot me up to an unbearable hyper attitude.

I noticed that if I really enjoyed the movie I come away sponging off some sort of character attribute from the movie. I wouldn't say I'm highly impressionable since I'm doing it unconsciously. I would rather say it's a natural adaptive technique to enable my survivor skills in the world by channeling the inner chameleon...

Just thinking about "Auntie Mame" makes me think in hyperactive inner dialogue. The main character, Auntie Mame, is what makes me think of what Holly Golightly of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" would be if she drank alot of soda. A TON.

Auntie Mame is a free spirited and friendly rich social woman who throws parties and knows a ton of people. Her nephew comes to live with her and she turns all of her unconventional doting attention upon him. Unfortunately, she falls on hard times through the years. She and her nephew grow and toughen it out through the hard times, the trials of love and heartbreak, and continue to experience life.

It sounds really light hearted but it's not. It's the time of movie where the lesson is to keep trudging on. Even if people are mocking you or things never seem to go right, you just keep going. Bonus points if you can trudge on with not only a smile but the ability to laugh in appreciation of life. For that's what life is, the ups and downs and what we come away with. I love Auntie Mame's character for her fighting spirit and her humor. If my inner conscious is insistent on adapting anything her character I hope it's those attributes.

I just realized that Rosalind Russell, who plays Auntie Mame, played Sylvie from "The Women"! No wonder I felt she looked familiar. Russell is becoming another actress I'm idolizing.I just need to watch "My Girl Friday" and I'll solidify that feeling. Where she had played "Sylvie" with a whimsical slyness, she played Auntie Mame with bubbling enthusiasm. She is so large than life that you can't help but be swept by her onscreen antics.

It's based on a screenplay and you can clearly tell the story arc in the movie. It falls and rises pretty predictably.It's not a short typical movie but it's hard to care when each segment is full of dazzling segments and outrageous moments. The heart of the movie is Auntie Mame and her dialogue which is rich in giving off her personality and vigor.

It's such a wonderful comedy. Not only is there clever dialogues, there's comedy treasure that please about anybody from slapstick to subtle. So many great moments. I remember cracking up when the nephew first visits and he keeps writing down all the crazy stuff around him. Or when the sofas starting flying up and down the cords. Or when she screwed the sales books.

I'm also starting to think that I'm seeing my future self as Auntie Mame. I like that future.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"- Auntie Mame

No comments: