Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)


I'm always in search of that special high I get after watching a movie. A high that is not produced from inducing chemical narcotics or injecting some solution into my veins. A high not edged on by the mentally challenged antics egged on by idiots.

This is the kind of high that is triggered by the power of the inner imagination. The kind of imagination that encourages a young girl to huddle in her closet hoping that the door to Narnia will be open.

That high was easy to access when your younger. When the world is boundless with the possibility of shapeshifters and magic. I'm a firm believer that if not continually nurtured and encouraged, that access can deteriorate and turn a person into a sad and boring person. A fate almost as worse as death.

Okay, well maybe not that quite dramatic. Either way, nursing imagination is completely healthy.

Just as there are diverse people, there are even more diverse movies out there. It's personal. When a person watches a movie not just because someone else said it was great, or the critics recommended it, but because it was awesome to that person than it holds even more meaning to them.

It's just as special when that movie seems to appear out of nowhere. I love finding my visual treasures that way. This movie is definitely that movie.

This came out way before "Spirited Away" and "Howling Moving Castle" (which are also great movies)I wasn't familiar with Hayao Miyazaki when I watched this. . I can't even remember how I came upon this movie.

I just remember watching it and feeling the familiar tingles of my imagination. It was tingles of excitement. The potential for magic and possibility. The movie would always end with me feeling optimistic and younger.

"Kiki's Delivery Service" is the story of a young witch who travels to find a new home. It is customary for young witches upon turning thirteen to go out on her own and travel. Kiki is an eager and enthusiastic witch and sets out with her black cat, Jiji. She is tested by various experiences to find her inner strength and willpower.

I love the fact that Kiki isn't very talented and has to find her own way. Even though Kiki is a thirteen year old girl, the journey to find your inner passion is relatable to everyone. Only I wish I can find it by flying on a broomstick with a sidekick like Jiji by my side.

Such a simple and beautiful story. The art is amazing. It's a sweet and magical movie with lovable characters. Which I have learned is a trait of Miyazaki. In a a cinematic world of crazy action and flat characters, his movies continue to inspire the awe and beauty of animated movies.

No comments: