Saturday, September 4, 2010

Ella Enchanted (2004)


I don't know about anyone else, but I have a couple of movies that make me feel real good every time I watch them. I don't care how old I am or how silly it is. If I'm happy after I watch it, then I'm happy.

It shouldn't be surprised that one of my favorite feel good movie would be a modern take on a fairy tale ideas. The movie is based on a teen novel. I've never nor do I care to. Aside fraom caving in to "Twilight" from unfortunate curiosity of the rabid fascination, I don't care to read that style. Most teen or young adult fiction are really too mild and bland for me.

I have to mention one that has stood and is really amazing. That is the Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare. Nice woman who wrote a dark novel series. It's completely worth it.

"Ella Enchanted" is set in a town called Frelle which has witty modern amenities such as a university (where they debate about slavery of giants) to a working escalator (which is powered by cranking the wheel).

Ella (short for Cinderella...hee hee) has been put under a spell from a fairy godmother to always be obedient. No matter what anyone asks of her, she does it. After her father accepts a stepwife and two obnoxious stepdaughters, Elle is immediately in danger of being abused because of her "gift". So she decided to run away to plead her cause with the fairy godmother who gave it to her.
In the meantime, a young Prince about to be crowned is in danger from his scheming Uncle. Ella (played by Anne Hathaway) bumps into the Prince by mere accident. They end travelingt together. Romance and hilarity ensues!

It's definitely a family movie with a mixture of tame adult jokes and childish humor. A few song and dance numbers are incorporated in clever ways. What really sold this movie for me was Anne Hathaway who plays Ella. Even though I am insanely jealous since she is my age and successful, I really enjoy seeing her on the screen.

It's bit on the girly side but it's still a fun and light movie to enjoy.

No comments: