Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bedazzled (2000)/ (1967)

I'm not too sure why but I'm watching "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with Brendan Fraser.

This is the most boring action movie I have ever seen. To sadness of my aching heart, one of my favorite cinema heartthrob is starring in it.

As I was doing my chores with this boring movie in the background, I began to list the Fraser movies I have loved. Three came to mind but one really stood out.

There was a little movie called "Bedazzled" that came out while I was in high school. I didn't get to watch it until I was in college and I've loved it ever since.

The movie stars Fraser and the ever snooty Elizabeth Hurley. This version is actually a remake of the 1967 version with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook. I actually love both versions for different reasons.

The 2000 version was more flashier and funnier. Then again I related more to its style of comedy than I did to the '67. The older version was still pretty funny in that slow wacky sixties style. Although there is still this creepy undertone to the '67 version that is signature of that decade. Plus, Dudley Moore is so freaking cute!

Both versions contain the same sort of story. A sad and lonely hero pines away for a beautiful woman that he is hopeless to obtain. By different circumstances, he is granted an opportunity with the Devil who grants him whatever he wants to obtain the girl. The story follows the adage of "Be careful what you wish for". The hero initially believes that he must be different from who he is in order to obtain her. By doing so, he learns what is truly important and also of himself.

In the modern version, the Devil is played by Elizabeth Hurley. I remember watching this and thinking "Goddamn, she is freaking sexy!...I so hate her".

Throughout the movie she is wearing sexy costumes and just looks phenomenal. Brendan Fraser played the hopeless hero in that signature goofy and cheesy way. He toned it down a bit for this movie but there wasn't much choice with Hurley stealing the scenes.

Fraser is really, really funny in this role. There are so many funny parts in this movie! My favorite is when he wishes to be a sensitive guy and cries every time he looks at the sunset. This version emphasized a bit about the idea of heaven and hell than about the inner struggle but it was still sheer fun.

In the older version, the Devil is played by Peter Cook. The way he played the Devil reminded me of the cool, smart kid in my class who I felt was always secretly mocking me. Fun to hang out but you had to keep up your guard. Dudley Moore played the hopeless hero. I just remember feeling sad for him most of the time. The humor was more slapstick but it was still pretty fun.


If I had to compare which one better, I would have to nod towards the '67 version. The story in that version is much more thorough and closer to the intent of the writer. Plus the seven deadly sins are in that version which gives the Devil more depth and background. It pretty much extends the power of the character and adds more biblical darkness around him.


I want to mention that I'm Buddhist and I have zilch knowledge about the bible. I only know the basic stories and the seven sins and such from what I have gleaned from movies and talkative friends. I view biblical stories as I view the stories about Buddha. Fantastical with some lessons. Movies that play around religious theories are really great for philosophical thoughts and conversations. Alot of people get up in arms when ideas that are different from the norm are presented. People get so uptight over these things. I'm of the camp that if you have an idea about a certain thought or theory and is presented in a unique way, than that's great. You need to have outsider views in order to challenge and cement your own beliefs. You have to find your own personal reason for devoting yourself to an idea. Or else your just an empty drone following the loudest person you can hear.

Sometimes you just have to poke some fun at the serious things, eh?

No comments: