Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Shaun of the Dead (2004)


I am afraid of zombies.
Actually I'm afraid of alot of things.
Zombies. Vampires. Werewolves. The dark. Spiders. Ghosts.

And yet, I love "Shaun of the Dead".
I've read "Twilight" and am proudly of the Team Jacob camp (Werewolves are ALIVE....vampires are DEAD....your crushing on a walking corpse...ewww).
I was obsessed with the "Ghostwriter" show on PBS.
My brother and I have a combined wealth in R.L. Stine "Goosebumps" series.
One of my favorite shows growing up was "Are you afraid of the dark?".
On which I answer with a solid yes.

I admit I am a huge walking contradiction in that I am serious wuss and yet my eyes are peering between my fingers at the horror. Horror as in simple monster horror. Monsters being frankenstein, zombies, vampires, and so on.

Psychological thrillers really mess me up for days and gore movies just disgust me. I also find it pretty disturbing when the people get gleeful at seeing someone hack at another being so mercilessly and emotionless.
::shudder::

On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being absolutely so horrorfying that I am curled to a fetal position to 1 being I just jumped in my seat, I would say "Shaun of the Dead" ranks at about 7. It's scary enough that I'm looking over my shoulder for any passing zombies but not enough that I'm terrified of even crawling into bed.

I thought of this movie after recently establishing enough courage to start on the graphic novels, "The Walking Dead". I made myself read it not just because I heard of the impending television series that's coming out but it deals with a post apocalyptic event. I love post apocalyptic events. Apparently so did the writer since he focuses more on the humans relationships than just zombies.

Which naturally lead my thoughts to "Shaun of the Dead". It's hailed as one of the most funniest and clever zombie homage movies there is. Granted, I haven't seen any of the zombie movies that are referenced but that doesn't really hold alot of weight in loving this movie.

With alot of british humor and hilarious comedic acting, we follow the survival tribulations of Shaun and his friends. As they set about to hacking through the zombies, they deal with personal troubles such as Shaun trying to patch up things with his girlfriend and dealing with the antics of his best friend.

There is so much that can be said about this movie. The fast paced editing is a constant gag. The songs that are spliced in(A certain Queen song will always have a different memory for me). The zombie cameos (Chris Martin of Coldplay pays a zombie...heh). British humor galore yet still so funny that Yanks can laugh out loud too.

It's a scary and fun movie. Really, really hard to find that kind of combination in movies lately. Or just a good movie that's enjoyable period.

I would advise that if there are any themed screening events where you can dress up...do so. Way fun!(i.e. for those in Los Angeles : http://hollywoodoutdoorcinema.com/)

No comments: