Monday, August 2, 2010

Roman Holiday (1953)

..And I said what about "Breakfast at Tiffany's?
She said, "I think I remember the film,
And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it."
And I said, "Well, that's the one thing we've got."...

Fun,sad song. Iconic movie. Yet not number one on my Audrey Hepburn movies. That honor would go to "Roman Holiday".

I will proudly admit that I am a complete sucker for princess movies. What girl doesn't? I love that saying that all girls are princess and la-dee-dah. I am the proud crown title of dragon princess. Not only do I have the standard Disney princess collections but I also have "Ella Enchanted", "Princess Diaries",

"Roman Holiday" involves a frustrated Princess Ann played by Audrey Hepburn. Who is absolutely
gorgeous in this role. The little come hither wave she does is pretty funny though. Anyway, Princess Ann finds a way to escape the confines of her royal surroundings and goes into hiding. She is picked by a reporter named Joe Bradley as played the deep voiced Gregory Peck. Bradley figures out she is (she does have very distinctive features) and has the intentions to fish out a story. The longer he's with her , the more he falls in love.

Perfect movie formula for me: PRINCESS+ ROMANCE+COMEDY. I am very easy to please.

Hepburn is so freakingly adorable in this movie. Her comedy timing is just cute. Here's another formula: If Hepburn is a constant,H, then H=cuteness, a variable determined by the viewers perceptions.Hee. I'm a nerd to boot.

Hepburn conveys the princess role from head to toe. Her voice carries high society and her stature is of a statuesque goddess. All of which is wonderfully balanced with the whimsical nature and smile.

The story isn't fast paced or full of sappy crap. It could have easily turned out that way. The humor is pretty predictable and yet the way its acted out is refreshing and pleasant. I always come away with a good feeling after I watch this movie.

The whole film is filmed in Rome. I can pretty much believe that. During a funny sequence after Princess Ann wakes up and leaves Joe Bradley, she walks through a busy market place with Bradley following close behind. Both are assaulted by all manners of vendors in such a candid way that I wonder if it was planned or not.

If the reporter falls in love with a high profile princess, would they succeed in staying together? Let's just say the ending is very fitting.

No comments: